Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fullerton recall


Sean Fullerton is an in-demand solo artist whose audience has grown as his own musical journey has matured. This week, artists playing in the Coppertop are weighing in here on their own experiences seeing live music. Fullerton, who performs at 8 p.m. Thursday, has this to say:

What was the first concert you saw, and what do you remember most about it?  “My very first live concert was Janet Jackson at the Worcester Centrum, I believe around 1990.  Not my first choice, but a buddy of mine and his sister had an extra ticket and invited me.  I was amazed at the whole concert experience, and actually seeing a Jackson live, but it still wasn't my first choice for a concert. Then she performed her rock hit ‘Black Cat,’ and after that, I was a fan. What a song!”

What’s the best concert you’ve seen, and what made it the best? “ I've seen a ton of great shows _ Van Halen, Paul McCartney, John Mellencamp, Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire_ but hands down the best concert I ever saw was a solo acoustic performance by my modern-day blues hero John Hammond, Jr.   My favorite music is the old Delta style blues, one singer, one guitar, maybe a harmonica, maybe light percussion. I'd been playing and writing rock/pop tunes for 12 years professionally up to this date.  After this show, I knew what direction I wanted to go musically. Besides being blown away by the show, I got to meet Mr. Hammond afterwards, and he was over-the-top gracious with his time and attention to my seemingly endless questioning of him. I play the blues and the harmonica because of him.”

What was the worst concert you’ve seen, and what made it so bad? “Although the line-up was all-star caliber_ Amos Lee, Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan_ the show wasn't to my liking at all.  The best part of the night was Amos Lee. I was psyched to see Elvis Costello, but he played acoustic through amp, and the distortion covered a lot of the words. Finally, I just couldn't understand one single word Bob Dylan sang with his electric band.”

If you could see any artist from any time, who would you pick to see? “I would've loved to have seen The Beatles last official concert at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, August 29, 1966.  Their last ever concert show before recording ‘Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.’"

Fullerton also notes a personal best from his career, saying, “Besides having people enjoy my performances, I had the opportunity to open for my ‘80s hero Colin Hay of Men At Work back in 2004 at his performance at the Lucky Dog Music Hall in Worcester.”


No comments:

Post a Comment