Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Take your picks

So this week, the Coppertop features artists who have already made a splash at the mountain. Chris Reddy, who was featured at the Wachusett Mountain MusicFest in September, is in the Coppertop Thursday. Trebek comes back Friday. Dr. Harp brings his blues band into the room Saturday night, and acoustic rockers Tall Heights do an encore performance at 4 p.m. on Sunday.

So rather than rehash some of what I've already told you about these musicians, I instead asked them about their favorite music. Reddy is an outstanding guitar player who has created a unique solo show that incorporates live looping. In short, he accompanies himself. The sample above is from Reddy's last CD "2 Sides 2 Every Story." As you can hear, Reddy has an ear for blending progressive and traditional strains of guitar work. So I asked him to supply a list of "essential guitar music," and this is what he came up with:

Jeff Beck:  "Still my favorite,  every recording and every show I’ve seen just makes me go 'wow.'  My favorite albums are 'There and Back,' 'Wired,' and 'Guitar Shop.'”

Eric Johnson: " 'Cliffs of Dover.' When I heard the second album by Eric, I knew he would be one of the greatest guitar players ever."

Van Halen: " " Mean Street,' from my favorite VH album ('Fair Warning'). Definitely my favorite guitar tone album from the good ol' days."

King's X: "Anything. Ty Tabor’s tone, technique, and song writing are soulful and technical."



XTC: "Anything. Andy Partridge and Dave Gregory were the best pop guitar team around for two decades,  the Beatles of the '80s and '90s."

Greg Howe: "Brilliant guitar player. Any guitar player who can cop his riffs should be able to handle anything."

Adrian Legg: "Changed my view of acoustic guitar and received the most standing ovations when he opened the first G3 show at the Orpheum with Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, and Steve Vai."

Steve Morse and The Dixie Dregs: "Best instrumental band I’ve ever seen, and I could listen to Morse play all day."

Pat Metheny with Lyle Mays:  "Some of the most beautiful music written. Every CD is an experience."

George Lynch: "Mind-boggling solos. Anything from Lynch Mob is a metal treat."

Allan Holdsworth:  "My favorite solos of all time are by this guy!"

Jimi Hendrix: "What can be said? Imagine what he’d be playing now?"

Hear for yourself how Reddy works these influences into his own music when he hits the stage at 8 p.m. Thursday.  Stay tuned fro more "essentials" this week.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment